Just when you thought that things couldn't get any better than a non nom treat at the end of the day...comes a pretty cool story. The basics...the kid said he just wanted to do the right thing...and he's doing it right.
Image source: Wikimedia Commons
A Minnesota Dairy Queen manager is getting widespread kudos for an act of kindness that required giving one customer the deep freeze treatment after some questionable behavior.
Joey Prusak had just finished serving one of his regular customers when the visually impaired man unknowingly dropped a $20 bill from his pocket. A woman in line behind him quickly picked up the money – and then put it in her purse.
"She picked it up so quickly that I thought she was going to give it back but she just stood there and waited," Prusak told TODAY.com. "I was extremely confused when she let the man walk by. She just stood there and put it in her purse and I was like, 'Really?'
Prusak, 19, said the experience left him feeling "violated." After taking a few seconds to compose himself, he politely asked the woman to give the money back. The woman refused, insisting the money was hers. Prusak asked her again but got the same response.
That's when Prusak asked the woman to leave.
"She made a big scene, but I told her I couldn't serve her, so she stormed out," he said.
"Everyone that was in the store at the time was kind of in shock. They just looked at each other like, 'did that really happen?' and kept to ourselves," he said.
Not everyone. One of the customers who witnessed the scene wrote about it in a letter to Prusak's boss, commending the employee for his composure and especially for what he did once the woman left.
"Your employee approached the man and took out his wallet and said, 'Sir, on behalf of the Dairy Queen, I would like to give you the $20 you dropped on the ground as you walked away from the counter,” according to the letter, which was sent by an anonymous writer.
The customer sent the note to the owner of the store where Prusak has worked for the past five years, since he was 14. The store owner printed out the note, which was soon posted by a co-worker on his Facebook page. Eventually, the message made its way around the Internet and got picked up on Reddit.
Prusak, who is studying business management at the local community college, is taking all the attention in modest stride. He said the store's owner has called the international Dairy Queen office, hoping executives there will reward Prusak, who races cars as a hobby, by sponsoring a NASCAR vehicle he wants to buy. "I didn't expect it to go anywhere. I didn't tell anyone. I didn't tell my boss. I didn't even tell my own parents," he said. "A lot of people are saying 'thank you' for what I did. Just telling me that means a lot."
I guess if you're hearing Desperado for the 100th time that night, it might lead to some trouble.
Police in South Carolina arrested a woman Monday night after she stabbed her roommate multiple times for refusing to stop playing music by the Eagles. 54 year old Vernett Bader, became irritated with her 64-year-old male roommate (and one-time boyfriend) after he rejected her pleas to turn off the Eagles and told her to "shut up."
Bader then entered the kitchen and grabbed a serrated knife, which she subsequently used to stab her roommate several times in the arm, hand, and elbow. The roommate and his brother managed to wrestle the knife away from Bader, but she quickly retrieved another from the kitchen. All three were intoxicated at the time.
I'm thinking if they just played an Eagles song that has several harmonies, say 'Seven Bridges Road," they might have been able to sing along together and avoid the fight entirely.
This was one of my giant childhood fears. Thinking Santa Claus would get stuck in my chimney. No thanks to the movie Gremlins, which reinforced the idea.
Here's the story from the AP:
Firefighters chiseled a hole through bricks early Tuesday to rescue a man who had gotten himself stuck inside a 20-inch wide chimney space at a Washington home that had been converted to apartments.
The young man was not hurt and was not suspected of a crime, but it's unclear why he apparently climbed into the unused chimney, Tacoma Battalion Chief Dyre Fudge said.
"Stories range from 'hide and seek" to 'repairing the ceiling. Nobody was able to get the straight story," Fudge said.
Firefighters were called about 1:30 a.m. to help the young man who was wedged at the second-floor level of the three-story house. A technical team trained in confined-space rescues was called in to rip through a wall and use power equipment to cut a hole in the chimney.
Firefighters lowered a rope to the man to hold him in place until he was able to step out about a half-hour later.
There were other people living in the house, but no one seemed to know why the man apparently climbed into the chimney at the third-floor level and slid down like Santa Claus.
Not like people are watching you, but rather you're sitting there and all of a sudden the sunlight hits you and it gets intensly hot. It happened to me while walking around the Taste Of Madison over the weekend. Nice weather, but I took a few steps around the Capitol Square and all of a sudden the sunlight reflected from glass on a building hit me like a laser beam.
A weird experience, but appearntly it happnes all over the world. Check out this Tweet from London: